Legal Counsel For Guardian Advocacy In Florida

At our Merritt Island law firm - The Law Office of Brian W. Hurd - we represent the parents, caregivers and friends of people with developmental disabilities or other physical impairments. Their loved ones have been diagnosed with conditions such as autism, Down syndrome cerebral palsy, spina bifida and Prader-Willi syndrome.

Many of these family members come to us seeking emergency legal help. Many are stressed or overwhelmed because of problems with their child's education, health care or finances. They feel powerless to correct those problems because their children have turned 18 and are technically adults under the law.

Under Florida law, people become responsible for their own decisions when they reach age 18. Even if a developmental disability affects a child's abilities to make decisions in his or her own best interests, parents no longer have the legal authority to make decisions for their children.

We help parents gain the legal authority to make decisions that are best for their adult children by guiding them through the process of applying to be a guardian advocate for a person with a developmental disability. Guardian advocacy is a special Florida procedure that allows parents to become the guardians of their adult age developmentally disabled children.

The Guardian Advocacy Process

Through a process that is not confusing a guardian advocate can be appointed. If you hire us, we will consult with you, draft the required documents and attend the necessary hearings. Someone will likely be appointed by the court to represent the person with developmental limitations. A determination will be reached by the judge in the case. Uncontested petitions are often approved.

If you have a disabled child who is approaching the age of 18, it would be wise to make special legal arrangements for their continued care. If you fail to do so in time you may find that giving consent for healthcare or education is challenging.

Our Legal Team is on your side.

To contact The Law Office of Brian W. Hurd, call 321-453-5007 or toll free at 877-409-1022 to speak with a knowledgeable Merritt Island guardian advocacy attorney. You may also complete an online contact form.